jerry's search

Custom Search

Thursday, April 30, 2009

swine flu

Know what i hate, is the news. I can't watch the news without hearing about the swine flu. As of today 1 person in the us has died of the swine flu. According to this article fro the WHO about 500,000 people die in mexico each year. And according to this site about 2.6 percent are from flu and pnemonia. I can't find a break out of that stat, but lets assume that of that 2.6% 1% is flu and 1.6 is pnemonia.

Meaning 1% of the mexican population's deaths are from the flu each each year, and that number is roughly 5,000. This AP time line has the number of deaths in mexico on 4/24 at 20 with 40 others being investigated. This Article has the number of deaths at 160. The second article has the of people hospitalized in mexico for teh flu at 2,498 but only 1,311 remain hospitalized.


In 2005 in the US Influenza/Pneumonia killed 63,001. I don't know why they group them together, but anyway. But since they do I would guess, that it is a fairly even distribution so lets say 40% of that was the flu, which is a complete guess but helps serve my purpose. The regular flu killed 25,200 people in 2005, or 69 people a day. So far the swine flu has killed 1 person.

On a side note, I am not taking my baby anywhere, casue I dont' want her getting either flu!!

Perhaps we should panic about the regular flu more.

No comments: