jerry's search

Custom Search

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Numbers!

Do me a favor and before you read this go to this site and listen to this song while you read this, although, as i explain, the song is really long, so maybe just start it, cause I am not up to writing a post that takes 20 some minutes to read.



This weekend I heard a story on NPR's This American Life that was really really sad, but I wanted to know how it ended, so yesterday I listened to it on line.

Although, It was interesting, and since people who come here are often in Mississippi and Louianna, they may have even heard of the story, anyway, that episdoe was titled "The Ghost of Bobby Dunbar" Which if you have an hour and want to listen, It is a good listen, just not very warm and fuzzy.


Anyway, after I finished that I listed to the previous weeks episode. And came accross this one.

Numbers. This episode people try to apply numbers to things they've no business applying them too. In one segment they're discussing these guys Dave Soldier and Komar & Melamid

they decided to composs 2 songs apparently based on surveys of what people like in songs and what are peoples least favorite song elements. The most favorite song is rather bland and very similar sounding to a lot of pop songs. It really sounds like the compossers attened the loggins and messian Music school and attened all the classes taught by the captain ( I think tennille has since moved on maybe to a general).


The least favorite song, combined all the elements that people described as thier least favorite types or parts of songs, things like rap, opera, children choirs, slow tempos, tuba, bag pipes, accordians, slow tempos, holidays, more musical idea that any song should contain. It is like 25 minutes long, but it is Horriffically wonderful.


Speaking of Horriffically wonderful songs, I am not sure I can find one that tops this but Dyanamite Hack I think I'll add that one to my play list on the side.


2 comments:

brandy101 said...

I heard that story of Bobby Dunbar and the friction between some of the existing family members on both sides. I remember listening to it on TAL last summer as we were driving to Wisconsin...it was sad.

Abby said...

I'm thinking that maybe I don't want to know the Bobby Dunbar story...