jerry's search

Custom Search

Thursday, March 5, 2009

my tips for committing fraud

1. Don't
2. See number #1
3. if you must don't record it on a balance sheet account you dolt.
4. Don't mess with payroll, that is the easiest place to find shadiness on the income statement.

For you none accountant types, Here is a brief lesson. Balances sheets are like a cumulative score of your business efforts. They show things like how much cash you have, how much you owe, how much you have had in earnings, that you've not paid out in dividends or withdrawals. The point is the balance sheet is sorta permanent.

The income statement is like a quarter score in a basketball game, This period we had this much income. At the end of the period you roll that into the balance sheet and start over.

As that is the case if you do shady shit on the income statement it goes away at the end of the year. You start over in January.


This is the second tax season in a row, I've found a bookkeepers (albeit a bad bookkeepers) stealing money from their employers because they put it on the balance sheet.

I hope you find this guide helpful. If you don't follow rule one or two and do steal from your employer check back later I think I will write a guide to living in the pokey.

Although, I've no first hand experience of that so I think I'll leave that to someone else.

Here is a link to an open letter from Martha stewart. Hope that helps.

1 comment:

Abby said...

Uh oh. Jerry's CPA blogging again...