jerry's search

Custom Search

Friday, February 19, 2010

Some guys!!

Background story
We have a client that is doing well for herself. When I say well, she went part time last year and made about 450,000 significantly less than the 700k she was making the year before.

This lady's new husband, as they just got hitched a couple years ago, makes 80k or so. Which is good work if you can get it.

So here is my story
Anyway the single guy in the office next to me, was looking at their file and he said something like I coudln't marry someone who made more money than me. I wouldn't feel like a man if I were in that situation.

WTH is that?  Do guys think that way?  I don't I think this way, the wife and I are a financial team, it isn't my money and her money it is our money.   If she can make oodles that significantly increase the chances that I will one day have a mid life crisis and be able to get  a corvette or something along those lines.  If I was determined to make more than my wife, my mid life crisis reward would have to be going to blockbuster and renting a manly movie.

I mean seriously 80k is a good job, i think it is about double what that guy is making as a non graduate, non cpa entry lvl accountant.  (Altough I don't know this for sure).    So dude is basically saying the most he wants his family to make is 80k if him and his future (and emotionally needy wife) could make is double his income, which puts them at around what that guy is making without his wife's 450 large. 

Anyway, I was sorta put off by this comment this morning  I don't think most guys are that well neadertalish are they?  I suppose there is likely a significant proportion that are like that, but well, these guys are asses!

5 comments:

Adam said...

I'm inclined to agree, Jerr. Marriage seems like more of a team effort financially...besides, whose business is it what one makes anyway?

Abby said...

Maybe that's why he's single.

Beej said...

There is no mine and yours in marriage, at least not in mine. I think my husband would be thrilled to no end if I made more money than him. I'm pretty sure he'd just be happy about it.

brandy101 said...

Honestly? As a woman, if I made SIGNIFICANTLY more than my husband, I think I would be uncomfortable with that. But that is just me and my opinion. I think it also has something to do with the fact that my husband contributes rarely to kid, pet, or home care (except handyman stuff.)

I have a male friend (a former coworker, actually) who makes less than his wife BUT he does most of the shopping/cooking and a lot of the child care so he really pulls his weight in the family, if not via his paycheck.

Unknown said...

Hmmm, I think I would love a sugarmama that makes more than me...as a matter of fact it was nice having Joey "bring home the bacon". I am comforted by the fact that if something were to happen to me she could take care us (or I guess just her if it were a really catastrophic event)! But yeah 450k, I think I could live with my not being the "provider" while laying around the pool in my leopard patterned banana hammock no problemo.