jerry's search

Custom Search

Monday, December 1, 2008

It was cold this weekend

Friday and Sunday greeted me with snow, saturday was cold. I typically like the cold, or so I thought. It turns out I do not like the cold, My dog on the other hand loves the cold. He slept outside saturday and wouldn't come in. I tried to get him to come in at 10, midnight, 3 am and than he finally came in around 6 but only cause that is time for his walk, so he came in one door and went right to the other.

When I was researching the Bernese Mountain Dog, it said, they make much better house dogs than yard dogs, becuase of their nature they like to be part of the family. Aparantly they where used to heard in switzerland, but unlike other heard dogs that kept the cows sheep, lama, and i suppose emus in a group, berners just lived in the group. Thus when a wolf or cheeta or something came along right in the middle of the heard was a 120 lb dog.

No where in the book did it say that your dog will insist that you are in a group outside when the weather is cold. He doesn't do it if it is only sorta cold. like 45. But if it is like 20 out, he goes to the door goes outside, spends like 10 seconds asks to come in, spends like 2 minutes asks to go out, spends like 10 seconds asks to come in, spends like 2 minutes. Unless you go out with him, if you do that he either takes to playing or laying in the snow under the pine tree.

So there I am reading my mail, outside in 25 degree weather (about -2 for ute) with my dog sleeping under a pine tree. As soon as i went in, he would get up and come to the dog to want to come in, but he didn't want to come in, he wanted me to come out. how do you explain to a dog that you lack the handy double coat he has. The dog has seen me naked, he should know i am not furry.

4 comments:

Beej said...

This is a dilemma. I have no advice to offer since my dog doesn't get to come in even if he asks politely and I would never suffer in the cold for him. Does this make me a bad pet owner? Possibly. But I can live with that.

brandy101 said...

I have no advice, either. One of my dogs not only sleeps in my bed at night but UNDER the covers!

Abby said...

Our Australian Shepherd/Border Collie that died last spring was that way. He could stand to be inside for about 10 minutes, tops. The colder outside the better. Invest in good outerwear.

KJ said...

-2?! sheesh..now that's COLD!

we have the opposite problem here, when it gets too hot.

we could never understand our dog when it was a 42 degree day(108F), he'd want to go out and sunbake!

idiot!

but yeah, if we went inside, he'd come with us..he was a real sook about being with us constantly..he'd get 'separation anxiety'.


on a side note..i've always wondered what our animals think about us, when they see us neked. =/