jerry's search

Custom Search

Friday, January 2, 2009

The IRS is what is wrong with the world

Not that it is taxes but the rules they have. If you make a payroll tax deposit and you're a small employer you have to do it with at your bank with a deposit coupon you get from the IRS.

I have a client that paid the first payroll on December 31st. They don't have their coupons yet, so I go to the IRS to get a blank one you used to be able to do this.

I get there and she says are you an officer of the company, I say no she says I can't give it to you. I say I have power of attorney, she says, I can't give it to you.

I say what do you reccomened we do to deposit the payroll, she says, have an officier come down. I say they're in Canada, they're not flying down to get one coupon for the payroll of one employee. She says, I recommned they do. I say, how else can you do it. She says via ETS, but that is only if they have more than 25 employees, which I had already told her, they have one employee. I say, we can't do that what how else can we do she says you can't. I say so are you suggesting we wait six weeks for the coupon book, she says if you do that it will be late. I say, then how would you pay it, she says have an officier come down.

So I say you know what, I am just going to go back to the office and reclass it all as consulting and pay the person the payroll tax we were going to deposit, and I am not going to issue a 1099 and see if you can find it. She says I wouldn't do that.

The IRS just added about 20,000 to the social securities debt, because that is exactly what i did when i got back to the office, called the employee called the canadians and said, if they look into this you'll owe penatlies and interst, but since they'll charge you penalties and interest anyway, cause they won't let you deposit the payroll taxes, lets risk it.

4 comments:

Beej said...

That right there is enough to frustrate a person like me beyond belief. It's a good thing there are people like you in this world who can help me with my taxes so I don't go around killing people.

Abby said...

This entry could've been shorter. You could've just stopped with the title.

brandy101 said...

Insanity.

I would hope that with all this talk of *transparency* and *online govt* coming up, that somehow, employers could apply for an electronic PIN and just do all of this *paperwork* online.

That would make sense. But this is the IRS we are talking about so...

Adam said...

I agree with Abby. Geez. What a mess.