jerry's search

Custom Search

Tuesday, July 28, 2009

some businesses

So I move to Denver a while back, 5 years ago, to be exact, which in case you're wondering is the second longest consecutive streak of my life. I did live in the same town from fifth grade thru 10th grade, so i guess that means next year i will set the you've lived in Denver longer than anywhere else in a row anyway. I lived in the little town i am from for most of my first 23 years, but it was intermittently broken up with moves it Illinois, Salt Lake, and Montana.

Anyway, when I moved here, I tried to ride my road bike, but I was assalted by goat heads. I got the bike tuned up and they people at the bike shop told me you need new tires. It seemed like a good idea, so I get new tires. I ride the bike, and I couldn't go more than 10 miles without a flat. I got mr. tuffies and put in there, I got thorn reistent tubes and put in there, and still the goat head prevailed.

So I go to a different bike shop, mostly cause I won a free water bottle from them durning the Trek, get your wow promotion. Hoopla, so I am talking to the guy and he says, they should have sold you thorn resistent tires, what did they sell you. So go to my bike and look and go back and tell him. It turns out those people sold me racing tires. That are about as thorn resistent as my behind. Which despite all the sitting i do, is not all that thorn resistent.

So I ask him what to get and he tells me if you buy these, or these, you will not get a flat! and they where cheaper than the tires the other people sold me. Anyway, this particular store that was very helpful was treads. The salesman told me they had been on the same corner for 30 years. Different sides of the corner, but the same corner. The place that sold me the very inappropriate tires, has gone out of business. I wonder why that was.

6 comments:

KJ said...

at first i thought you said you were attacked by "Goat herds"!

So i'm gathering that 'Goat heads' are a type of thorn?
like, we have 3 corner jacks here..or bindii(burs),or the lethal "Innocent weed".

KJ said...

Aha!

just had a look at the link you provided..yep, that's what we call our 'three corner jack'. lethal lil' suckers. soon know about them when you get one in bare feet!

when we were kids, we used to put your ordinary hose pipe in our bikes tyres to stop getting punctures.
cheap alternative. =)

brandy101 said...

I used to ride my mtn bike everywhere when I lived in Chicago and I was plagued not my goat heads but by potholes and nails. The Mr. Tuffies did the trick and I still have them in there today!

Abby said...

Wanna race?

Goat heads were the bane of bicycle riding existence down in T'dad. I've not been bothered in the springs (knock on wood)

KJ said...

PS~ have put the chat box thingy back for you... =)

Beej said...

Can you believe I'm searching for a spare tire bike rack for the jeep so I can ride someplace besides my dog infested neighborhood?! And I don't even own a bike of my own! I ride my daughter's!