jerry's search

Custom Search

Friday, August 28, 2009

I hate this lady and this commercial

People on the right those against a public health care option keep sayign the US has the best health care in the world. If this is true why is our infant mortality rate higher than most of the countries that they keep comparing us too? Why is our life expenctancy lower than most of those countries as well? I keep seeing a commerical where they have some women talking about breast cancer and if she lived in the UK she would have been denied treatment and then they say something like don't let 300k women die in the US. Here is a link to the organization running the ad and the commerical. I hate this commercial

Here is a fun statistical game. I found a chart that tracked Breat Cancer deaths per 100k of the population in the US, UK, Canada, Italy, Sweden, and Japan. The death from Breast cancer rate was highest in the UK which is the basis of that commercial, but it was second highest in the US.

Here are my ideas for distastful commercials on the other side.

I could have the husband or kids of someone who has died from breat cancer make the claim that 300k women are going to die from breast cancer unless we reform healthcare. If we had canada's system it is more likely my mommie would be alive today. I know this chart is just the death from breast cancer and not the survivability of breast cancer which isn't apples to apples, but France has a better breast cancer survival rate than the us and they have public health care.

Which brings me to my other idea

Have a husband say when i lost my job we lost our health insurance, when I got a new job they told us my wive's cancer was a pre existing condition. When my wife's cancer came back they didn't cover the treatment, now my kids have to grow up without their mom. If we lived in France, my children would likely have their mother.

Actually I do not want to see those commercials made. It would be a cheap ploy to distort an arguement with emtions, which is really the only stratagy I've seen coming from those who are against a pubic health care option.

1 comment:

brandy101 said...

The myths circulating out there are astounding in their ballsy-ness to say the BS they are actually saying! I could see opposing a publicly FUNDED option on the basis of our deficit being high. OK, fair enough of an argument. But otherwise, its just plain mean-spirited crap being flung around on the public square (aka Town Hall meetings)

I was pleased to see AARP step up with some sensible ads saying, basically, cut out all the BS and lets get health care reform DONE. No more stalling.