jerry's search

Custom Search

Saturday, September 26, 2009

I am swearing off the pulitzer books

So I did some thinking after my prior post about reading a pulitzer prize winning book and what I decided was how about the non fiction.
  • 2009 - Slavery by Another Name. (that doesn't sound like there are rainbows and bunnies.)
  • 2008 - The Years of Extermination: Nazi Germany and the Jews (no bunnies or rainbows here either
  • 2007- The Looming Tower: Al-Quaeda and the Road to 9/11 (pass)

so I think lets skip back a ways.

  • 1993 - Lincoln at Gettsyburg: The words taht remade America (hum, four score and all that bore.
  • 1991 - Tha Ants (No idea about this one)

from wiki for "The Ants" Review: "The only professional science work to have won a Pulitzer Prize -- for general nonfiction in 1991 – The Ants

Pass

  • 1980 - Godel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid - Again from the Wiki On its surface, GEB examines logician Kurt Gödel, artist M. C. Escher and composer Johann Sebastian Bach, discussing common themes in their work and lives. At a deeper level, the book is a detailed and subtle exposition of concepts fundamental to mathematics, symmetry, and intelligence.

Pass

  • 1973 - Children of the Crisis - I am thinking no bunnies here either.

So this is what I have decided, I want a new literary award given, to a book, maybe 2 awards non fiction and fiction. This is what i require from my books, 1. They're entertaining. 2. They invovle hope or at least are devoid of it.

  • For example, I've only read 2 of Cornwell's scarpetta books, and despite the fact that they involve crime and murder and a myster and stuff, 1. the bad guys lose in the end. 2. You finish them and don't have to think the world if messed up.
  • Even Stephen Kings books usually end with some sense of things will be okay, for example the shining. In the movie that everyone has seen, the dad kills the helpful hotel guy, but in the book that guy doesn't die.
  • clive barker - I read the great and secert show a while back and while it is a story of good versus evil, in the end it seems like good is better, although I read that years ago, so what I know.

Anyway, anyone know any books that are both entertaining and are not just sad?

5 comments:

Abby said...

"Godel, Escher, Bach" is the only book in your post that I've ever heard of and NO, I've not READ it! "The Ants"? Seriously?!

I just finished "Signal and Noise" by John Griesemer. It was an epic undertaking for me, and I'm still wondering if I even liked it.

Anonymous said...

Hello. And Bye.

Anonymous said...

good day everyone. I'm really into shoes and I have been digging for that singular brand. The prices as regards the boots were about 250 pounds on every site. But for all I set this area selling them for the benefit of half price. I absolutely love these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly order those. what is your opinion?

Anonymous said...

good afternoon dudes. I'm actually into shoes and I was looking for the sake of that exact make. The prices seeking the boots were all over 240 pounds on every site. But finally I found this site selling them for the benefit of half price. I really want those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly buy them. what is your opinion?

Anonymous said...

hi there fellas. I'm really into shoes and I had been digging for that particular brand. The prices due to the fact that the boots were all over 210 dollars on every site. But definitively I found this locate selling them someone is concerned half price. I absolutely want those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will probably order those. what do you think?