jerry's search

Custom Search

Friday, September 4, 2009

Sunshine cleaning

A while back I saw Little Miss Sunshine which I liked alot, it features a family whose memebers are struggling to find their way. Each of them is odd, out of place and some times painfully ackward, however in the film they all rally together and support one another. One of the main characters played by Alan Arkin.

A while back but not as long ago as when I saw the other movie, i saw a commerical for Sunshine Cleaning, which also features a messed up family trying to figure things out and Alan Arkin is in it. So I thought, I think I want to see that.

well, after seeing it, I thought, that just sucked. Although, the characters do eventually sorta come together, it is still messed up. I suppose the difference between the in part are due to how the characters are messed up. In little miss sunshine, there is the drug addicted grandfather, the teen age son, who has taken a vow of silence in order to become a fighter pilot only to find out he is color blind, the motivational speaker father that no one listens to, and who can't get his own life together, The suicidal gay brother in law. These people all have flaws and are arkward and painful at times, yet their characters have some sense of character. IF that makes sense.

In the later, the two main characteras are sisters, one who was apparently hot shit in high school, but is now a single mom, who is sleeping with a married cop, and her younger sister that as far as my impression, I didn't care about her, I felt bad for the girl she sorta stalks for a minute. I couldn't identify with her. Then things go horribly wrong, like they should of when you're not trying!

Anyway, watch it if you like, but I give it 1 and 1/2 mops.

Also they sorta make lite of Suicide as something to clean up after. I mean phyisically, but how in the hell do you clean up after someone's suicide, the mess that leaves on the survivors is neither triffling nor fleeting, it just left a bad taste in my mouth.

2 comments:

Abby said...

I LOVED "Little Miss Sunshine"!

As for the cleaners, I think I'll skip it. I'm off cleaning anyway. Call it a strike.

brandy101 said...

I thought LMS was just OK; I think I was disapointed b/c I think Greg Kinnear is usually so fabulous and underrated.

I read less than stellar reviews from friends on FB on Sunshine Cleaning so I saved my rental $ for something else.