jerry's search

Custom Search

Monday, December 28, 2009

Avatar

So I went to the Avatar movie yesterday, sorta like a Christmas gift from the wife, I love going to movies, but haven't been since we had a baby. Not that I am complaining I would much rather spend time with the baby


I've been reading lots of bloggers who loved it; I heard a review of it on NPR that was just plain harsh. I've heard a few people discussing the "sexuality" of the movie. I've heard tons of theories about what people think Cameron was commenting on. War, the Native American's plight, conservation, and even one guy on the radio saying it was and anti technology movie. WTF is that guy smoking, you can't make a movie that is totally based on writing software and making movies that were not technologically possible 5 years ago and say it is an anti technology movie. 

The cool thing about the movie is it doesn’t really say what it is; you can take all or none of those messages from it. I saw it and thought, hum, great movie as movies as spectacles go, not such a good movie as movies as a story go. Anyone who sees 3D version who doesn't say the movies is visually amazing, is well, a poor judge of what is amazing.

Anyone who sees it and says it is a movie masterpiece, I question their judgment as well.

This is what I know, it was long. really really long.

It was a fun movie, loud and stunning, and well, I felt as if I had been provided with great entertainment value for my admission ticket. 

Also that book isn't related to the movie but I got it for Christmas too.  Yo should read it!!

1 comment:

Abby said...

We were all planning on going as one of our christmas break adventures. Then I saw how long the thing was and thought that the youngest kid would not want to sit in the theater for that long. I read some reviews on commonsensemedia.org and decided that he and I won't go. He was pissed for a while, but then saw my side. The rest of the menfolk plan on going today. I still want to see it, just for the techno geekness of it.