jerry's search

Custom Search

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Heroes

On the way into work this morning I Brad Meltzer on the radio basically plugging his new book.  Not basically he was plugging his new book "Heroes for My Son"  Which basically this guy made a list of important people that can teach us stuff.  I do not have a list, but I know it contains Thomas Jefferson, and Roberto Clamente.  And not for the reasons you would expect.  In the Radio Interview he said he picked Jefferson not for writting the Declaration of Independce but for not claiming it. 

Which is a good reason to be in this book.  In an era of chest pumping, look at me I am the greatest  (please ignore my claims this is the greatest blog ever for a moment), a little humility is a great lesson.

I am fairly certain my favorite sports figure hero didn't make this book.  That is Dan Quisenberry.  Dan was the man, and in the early eighties he was the best relief pitcher in baseball.  He had an odd delivery and was not a muscle bound talent laden stud.  He was a great athlete, as everyone who plays professional sports is, but he got there more for work than ability. (here is a sports illistrated commerical where you can see his odd motion.)



But none of these are the reasons he among my heroes.  I don't like baseball, I didn't watch him much, and I don't really care for his poetry, but I saw a piece on him once, likely on ESPN but maybe not where he said something along these lines.  While dying from a brain tumor at the age of 45 (I think, I should google that) he said to his wife something like "I never ask "Why me", Why not me?"  And that is a lesson that I don't always remember, but I try to. 

Watch the news, it is filled with stories of people being killed, raped, robbed and cheated.  Many times they ask why me or why god and I would likely do the same.   However, in doing so I would be ignoring the gifts given.  For I am an American, who on a global persecptive propbably earn more than 90% of the worlds population (If you live in America and are reading this you do too!)  I have a beautiful wife and baby.  I have a home.  I have more blessings than most will ever get.  When something bad happens as it always does, I hope to have the stregth of character to look at what ever problem has arisen with the clairity and dignity a baseball pitcher from long ago did.
On Days Like This: Poems

No comments: