jerry's search

Custom Search

Friday, January 22, 2010

Abligurition and other stuff


As it turns out English is widely spoken language that has many different contributor languages to draw from.  We speak a Germanic Language but of the Germanic languages ours is unique in the grammar.   Which serve to frustrate and confound those of us that speak English and try to learn and other, and those that speak another and try to learn English?
I was perusing a book the other day that basically chalked this up to, I don’t remember the name of the book or exactly the order dude theorized events happened in but it went something like this.  Germanic speaking folks figured out how to get to Britain, so they go over there where they find the locals speaking Gaelic, Welch and likely some others I’ve forgotten, so as is usually the case rather than completely displace, the locals the languages were sort merged, then the Vikings came down and messed it up even more so that the English we speak is a mix of the base Germanic language mixed with local Britain languages mixed with whatever the Vikings spoke.
Which is neither here nor there, but it got me thinking English has some a lot of words the Second Edition of the Oxford English Dictionary has entries for 171,476 of them in current use and 47,153 obsolete words.
Among these forgotten words is abligurition. Which word thinks is spelled wrong. But it isn’t, it is obsolete.  However, I think this is a word that needs to be brought back into usage.  A few months ago we looked at our monthly spending and realized we were spending an obscene amount of money on food.  Not even good food, we were spending our fortune and getting a lot of food that was making us sick.
 In case you’re wondering abligurition, means prodigal expense for food.  I am fairly certain in today’s culture it isn’t just us that have this problem, I drive down the street and every corner it seems has a drive through. 

Second issue, is I've been working out at a athletic club, and this old guy has taken to talking to me in the locker room, which I guess is good, but he does it naked.  Everyone, or nearly everyone at this club, chats naked.  WTF, when I am standing there with my junk all exposed the last thing I want to do is talk to someone about my weekend plans, these lads on the other hand seem to think there is nothing wrong with it, I find that weird.

Third issue, at the same club they're running a special six week training program for only 800 bucks.   $800 dollars for 2 personal training sessions per week for six weeks.  Sheesh, here is Jerry's new answer to that.
A penny weights 2.5 grams, there are 28.35 grams in an ounce and 16 ounces in a lb. $800 bucks in nickles is about 170 lbs. 

I think I would rather get the 172 put in a back pack carry it around for six weeks, and then I would have 800 and I am sure I would be in better shape, I suppose I should deduct the cost of replacing my backpack and the chiropractor, but nevermind that.

1 comment:

Abby said...

Uhm... what's "prodigal"?

Oh, and if you're going to tell stories about naked men, maybe leave out the oldness. Makes for better imagery.